The Regional Development Fund of Crete is currently implementing a roadmap for the island’s clean energy transition through a systematic procedure of multi-participatory dialogue. This procedure combines EU policies and initiatives; the Greek Energy and Climate Action Plan; an existing study for regional energy planning, the municipal SEAPs and ongoing national priorities; the regional climate adaptation action plan; RIS3 regional smart innovation strategies for sustainable energy and climate change; Regional Operational – Community Support Framework; scenarios for the electricity and gas interconnections to the mainland; research and innovation sectoral capabilities and priorities; results of past and ongoing EU projects; interests of the investors; energy cooperatives; social interests, etc.
Thanks to its long experience in participatory energy and climate planning, the Regional Development Fund of Crete - Regional Energy Agency of Crete is the regional coordinator of the Covenant of Mayors and the central actor for the island’s energy transition. It is also a member of the Regional Innovation Council. Crete is also the biggest island among the 26 chosen in 2019 by the secretariat for Clean Energy for EU islands, which makes the exercise for the clean energy transition much more complex and time-consuming.
In this regard, the first results of the roadmap are of particular interest. The Action Plan also includes a horizontal assessment by sector for ongoing energy efficiency works in public and private buildings, bioclimatic public places, energy cooperatives, public lighting, virtual net metering, sustainable energy education in schools, etc.
The main expected outcomes:
- Build a common vision for the energy transition;
- Combine Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan of the whole island (SECAP-I) with the 24 municipal SECAPS;
- Prioritise energy efficiency and energy saving in all activity sectors;
- Maximise the RES penetration in the energy system;
- Establish an efficient electricity management system combining the electricity interconnections and the local RES electricity production;
- Attract and support sustainable energy and energy efficiency investments;
- Combine the Smart Regional Specialisation of the Crete Region and circular economy through innovative pilot energy projects;
- Design and implement a continuous and multifaced communication – dissemination – promotion plan for the regional energy transition.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
E-Mail: ptapta [dot] gr (pta[at]pta[dot]gr)
- Publication date
- 3 May 2023